In this chapter (1 of 9) Adrian introduces himself, then:
- Gives you the background to the snoring and sleep apnoea epidemic
- Sets expectations
- Sizes the opportunity for the sleep-trained GDP
- Looks at the 'Four scenarios' (the four typical scenarios that a GDP may encounter)
- Introduces you to the Academy peer reviewer, Dr Shouresh Charkhandeh DDS
- Explains how the Academy has been produced in accordance with the Principles and Requirements of the NHS Information Standard
- Eight question assessment with detailed explanations
Aims, Learning Objectives, Educational Outcomes for Verifiable CPD for the Academy (complete course of 9 chapters)
Our core aim is to support your improvement through a focus on professional learning and development.
Chapter 1 Learning Objectives
- Understand the relationship between snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) and identify the key signs and symptoms.
- Understand the important role the dentist may play concerning sleep related breathing disorders (SRBD).
- Understand the necessity to carefully manage the patient’s expectations of therapy.
Chapter 1 Educational Outcomes
On completion of this chapter you will:
- Appreciate that snoring may be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) and identify the key signs and symptoms of sleep apnoea.
- Recognise the responsibility the dentist has, to carefully manage the patient’s expectations of MRD therapy.
- Appreciate the role the dentist may play concerning sleep related breathing disorders (SRBD).
The entire Academy has been peer-reviewed by Dr Shouresh Charkhandeh DDS.
Last updated March 2018. Next review March 2021.
*** START HERE *** (01:04)FREE PREVIEW
Link for your private FaceBook groupFREE PREVIEW
Academy Aims, Objectives and Outcomes for Verifiable CPDFREE PREVIEW
Learning Objectives & Educational Outcomes for Verifiable CPDFREE PREVIEW
Who am I? (02:54)FREE PREVIEW
You Help People SLEEP (00:43)FREE PREVIEW
Setting Expectations (00:39)FREE PREVIEW
Four ScenariosFREE PREVIEW
[2019 UPDATE] The Opportunity for the Sleep-Trained Dentist in the UK (02:33)FREE PREVIEW
Why Dentists ask for Help (02:00)FREE PREVIEW
Peer Review (05:31)FREE PREVIEW
Assessment 1FREE PREVIEW
Top Tips for this learning platformFREE PREVIEW
An informative set of videos which have helped me gain insight into the role of dentists and how we can further improve the quality of life in patients
An informative set of videos which have helped me gain insight into the role of dentists and how we can further improve the quality of life in patientsRead Less
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Complete
Specifically for UK dentists.
KnowSleep Academy™ - Learn at your own rate, how to screen and treat snorers, safely and effectively.
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Ch. 2
"Don't "FIX" their snoring!"
What sleep apnoea is, why you cannot diagnose it, how to help snorers and those who need further investigation.
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Ch. 3
"No 'I' in Team"
A refresher, assessing sleepiness, treatment options, dental signs & symptoms - the necessity for teamwork.
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Ch. 4
"Good Guys Finish First".
Including practicing safely and legally, what to do when you receive a referral, communication and record-keeping.