This chapter is about practicing safely and legally. It is UK specific.
I cover scenarios such as "My patient needs to stop snoring" and "I've received a referral (patient has OSA) - what do I do?".
The chapter continues with patient assessment, record-keeping and medico-legal requirements.
Chapter 4 Learning Objectives:
- Understand the necessity for communication with the patient’s GP, referring Physician or ENT surgeon.
- Understand best practice requirements and what is necessary to practice in a defensible way.
- Understand what constitutes essential patient & clinical assessment. An appreciation of the assessment of excessive daytime sleepiness and the importance of taking a full and accurate medical and OSA history.
- Understand the medico-legal requirements.
- Understand that professional indemnity insurers have Position Statements re the role of dentists in the screening, recognition and management of SRBD.
Chapter 4 Educational Outcomes
On completion of this chapter you will be able to:
- Appreciate the essentials of good communication with the patient’s GP, referring Physician or ENT surgeon.
- Recognise what best practice requirements are and comprehend what is necessary to practice in a defensible way.
- Comprehend the importance of good record keeping.
The entire Academy has been peer-reviewed by Dr Shouresh Charkhandeh DDS.
Last updated March 2018. Next review March 2020.
- Learning Objectives & Educational Outcomes for verifiable CPD FREE PREVIEW
- What could possibly go wrong?! (05:13)
- OSA and the unique situation in the UK for Sleep-Trained Dentists (03:08)
- My Patient needs to stop snoring... (02:16)
- My Patient has OSA - I've received a referral for an MRD (03:13)
- Record Keeping and Communication (14:42)
- Assessment 4
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Complete
Specifically for UK dentists.
KnowSleep Academy™ - Learn at your own rate, how to screen and treat snorers, safely and effectively.
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Ch. 5
"Snorers Need Love Too"
How to grow your DSM business. Focusing on the UK specific, pre-treatment screening protocol.
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Ch. 6
"Hit and Miss"
Getting the ‘bite’ right to improve your success rate, fitting & adjusting, titration protocols, and your Duty of Care.
Anti-Snoring Devices (UK) Ch. 7
"Lost in the Dark?"
Matching MRDs to patients, Principles of airway management, Taxonomy, Biomechanics, Contra-indications.. Phew!